Friday, December 23, 2011

The Artist review


The film which is currently the frontrunner for Best Picture is certainly worth seeing. It's about an actor named George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) who is a famous silent film star.He meets a woman named Peppy Miller who is an aspiring fan of his who soon gets a job at the studio he is working for.They fall in love,but he soon is hampered by the rise of talking pictures and becomes washed up and extremeley depressed.

This film is such a beautiful, sophisticated one. The story isn't too original,but the inventiveness and the creative storytelling makes it brilliant. Valentin's dog is a such a funny and touching aspect to the movie. I was so scared that he would shun the dog or he would be hurt by somehow,thank God he didn't!I just hate seeing animal abuse on screen. Anyway,the film brings up a lot of questions about silent movies, at least for me. Are they still a worthwhile type of film? This one certainly was.it's such an expressive story, the words aren't really needed.And were people really tired of silent films or did they just want to see something new?

The performances in this film were fantastic: Jean Dujardin gives such a suave, powerful performance.He makes his character so well-rounded and magnetic. Bernencie Bejo is terrific, making her character so illuminating and truthful. Both deserve Oscar nominations, and maybe even wins.

The Artist certainly is one of the year's best, though i wouldn't quite call it Best Picture. It doesn't quite have the gut or the magic that I see in a film I think should win Best Picture. I would have no complaints if it won though, and I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

Louis Morgan said...

I am interested in this one, and will get around to watching it eventually since Dujardin will most likely be a nominee.

joe burns said...

It certainly is really good!

dinasztie said...

Is Bejo better than Octavia and Jessica?

joe burns said...

I'd say so, Octavia is really good, but I don't love her. Jessica is overrated to me, but very good in The Help.

You Go Olivia Colman!!!!